Tuesday, September 29, 2009

BCPL Library Board: An Accusation of Bad Faith

22 September 2009

Ms. Elliston:

You refer to my presentation of 17 September as a hearing, but it was not the hearing I was entitled to by law, which should have taken place prior to dismissal. I had requested the hearing from Mrs. Ryle, both on the telephone, and at the email address she provided me, while still an employee, and her statement merely proves that this is not the required hearing, which should have been requested by Cindy Brown within thirty-five days of my initial contact with her. That hearing did not take place, due to the Library's negligence. The meeting of 17 September was a hearing only in a formal sense e.g., "Administrative law. Any setting in which an affected person presents arguments to an agency decision-maker." (Black's Law, ed. 8. p. 737) However, it was not a hearing to settle the dipute with my supervisor, as set forth in the employee handbook.

If further evidence that this was not the hearing to which I was entitled were needed, Ms. Southard's e-mail invitation on 16 September referred to the session as a "presentation", and says nothing about a hearing. I would have prepared quite differently in such a case, and would certainly have protested the ten-minute limit, as well as the short amount of time in which I had to prepare for it. I read a statement which ended with a plea for a hearing in accordance with the employee manual and public policy. If the Board considered my address to be the hearing, they were obligated to apprise me of that during the session.

Your claim that this was the hearing to which I was entitled, to make it appear that the Board had fufilled its obligation, could be construed as evidence of bad faith in any further proceedings. Good faith is "absence of intent to defraud or to seek unconscionable advantage." (Black's Law, ed. 8. p. 713) I certainly understood this as a chance to request a hearing to resolve the dispute on a work-related issue, and used the time to present relevant information, and request such a hearing be granted.

It appears from the several interruptions of Mrs. Ryle indicating that my prepared statement was irrelevant, and the sarcastic remarks of Ms. Goetting at the end, showing her displeasure with my even being there, it may be impossible for me to get a fair hearing from this Board, and that the offer itself was made in bad faith. As you may be aware, good faith is the standard of public policy.

I am requesting a copy of the written statement read by Ms. Southard after my presentation.

Sincerely,

James Duvall, M. A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest. James Duvall, M. A.